HOW TO DRESS YOUR BED FIVE STAR HOTEL-STYLE!
I DON’T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT FOR ME, ONE OF LIFE’S SIMPLE PLEASURES IS CLIMBING INTO A FRESHLY MADE BED- CURLING UP UNDER CRISPLY LAUNDERED LINEN AND SINKING MY HEAD ON PLUSH PILLOWS!
→ By Greer Krige, Lifestyle Content Creator
After needing to find new ways to create a sense of at-home luxury, I’ve managed to recreate that sensation of a fancy boutique hotel, a little something to look forward to each bedtime.
Here is my method:
1. Always start with buying yourself the best bedding, and get bed linen you can afford. Cotton and linen are best, they are natural fibers, so they breathe. They keep you cool in summer and warm in winter.
2. Your down duvet and pillows come next, they have the best loft which makes them look and feel puffier. This, however, comes down to your own preference. I know some prefer a light soft pillow and others a denser one.
3. Cover the bed base with a base cover or valence, great for hiding ugly bed bases. Choose something neutral like white, beige, or grey. I’ve seen some fabulous, quilted designs.
4. If you can afford it, this is a must-have. A mattress topper adds a soft layer on top of the mattress- you literally feel like a bird in a nest.
5. Next comes a mattress protector. This will be your best friend against stains and mites.
6. Then your choice of a fitted or flat sheet but if you opt for flat make sure you practice those nurses’ corners.
7. Then, if you did get a fitted sheet, get a flat sheet as a top sheet and place it face down.
8. Next, add the duvet. Always try to get a size bigger than your bed. If you have a queen-size bed get a king-size duvet.
9. Fold the top sheet back over the top of the duvet for a neat edge.
10. Place 2 standard pillows per person on top of the duvet.
11. Add scatters upright, facing forward for symmetrical balance. I like to have a square and rectangular shape This is great for extra neck support if reading in bed.
12. Add a throw and when I say ‘add’ I mean literally throw it on top. Choose something lightweight in summer and thick and snuggly in winter like faux fur or chunky knit.
Keep in mind your bedroom is your sanctuary, select calm, soft and cool colors to create a sense of tranquillity.
Spritz some linen mist, something relaxing like lavender as the finishing touch to ensure a good night’s sleep.
Maru Duvet Cover
Plain white 100% cotton sateen duvet cover with a flat stitch. All sizes come with two standard pillowcases.
Moya Duvet Cover
White 100% cotton sateen duvet cover with a grey satin stitch, all sizes come with two standard pillow cases.
Mollo Duvet Cover
White 100% cotton sateen duvet cover with a yellow satin stitch, all sizes come with two standard pillow cases.
Mabu Duvet Cover
White 100% cotton sateen duvet cover with a bronze satin stitch, all sizes come with two standard pillow cases.